In the areas of Dacorum and Watford and Three Rivers we are piloting a NHS community dermatology service which is being provided by HealthHarmonie. This service provides treatment in local clinics for a number of skin conditions and problems that aren’t suitable for routine treatment in your GP practice or in other primary care. In this way we can provide more convenient care for patients in the community and at the same time take pressure off hospitals.
HealthHarmonie already works on behalf of the NHS in a number of areas of the country to provide community based healthcare services as well as supporting hospital services.
About the community dermatology service
Dermatology is the area of medicine that helps with diagnosing, treating and managing skin conditions.
The pilot community service in Dacorum and Watford and Three Rivers supports patients of all ages. It allows patients to be seen within the community by specialist doctors who can investigate, treat and manage a range of conditions.
Conditions that can be supported by the service include:
- Dermatoses (non-inflammatory skin disorders), skin lesions (such as sores) and other chronic rashes
- Common rashes (such as eczema and psoriasis)
- Fungal infections
- Premalignant skin lesions such as solar keratoses or Bowen's disease
- Low risk basal cell carcinomas (BCCs) on trunks and limbs
- Non scarring acne unresponsive to routine treatment in primary care
- Disorders of hair, scalp and nails
For more serious skin conditions your GP will need to refer you to a hospital for diagnosis and treatment. This includes:
- Suspected skin cancers
- Severe forms of eczema, psoriasis, acne and alopecia
- Connective tissue disorders
- Some genital skin problems
Accessing the service
Your GP will refer you to HealthHarmonie if they think that your skin condition is suitable for investigation and treatment by a specialist doctor within the community service.
Once HealthHarmonie receives the referral from your GP they will write to let you know and will give you some introductory information.
The HealthHarmonie booking team will contact you within four working days of receiving the referral from your GP to arrange your first appointment.
They will offer you a choice of clinic locations and times for your appointment to take pace.
Your community dermatology appointment can only arranged directly with HealthHarmonie. It isn’t possible for your GP to provide you with an appointment or for you to book your community dermatology appointment online through NHS e-Referral Service. If you have been offered an appointment through either of these routes this is not a correct booking and you should wait to hear from the HealthHarmonie booking team.
Once your appointment is arranged HealthHarmonie will send you a letter confirming this. They will telephone you the day before your appointment to check that you are still able to attend. If you have a mobile phone (and they have your mobile number) they will also send you a reminder by text.
HealthHarmonie will normally aim to see and treat patients within six weeks of a referral from a GP. However, there is a big demand for the service and the current waiting time for appointments is approximately nine weeks for standard appointments. HealthHarmonie are putting in extra resources to meet this extra demand and clear the waiting list, which they hope to do by the end of June.
If your condition is urgent, you will be seen and treated within two weeks.
Community dermatology clinics are provided in the following locations. Appointments at these clinics are available on certain days a week.
Watford and Three Rivers
- Bridgewater Surgeries - Bridgewater House, Watford WD18 7QR (weekend appointments available)
- Cassio Surgery - 21 Upton Road, Watford WD18 0JP
- Chorleywood Health Centre -15 Lower Road, Chorleywood, WD3 5EA
- Manor View Practice - Bushey Medical Centre, London Road, Bushey WD23 2NN
- Sheepcot Medical Centre - 6 Cunningham Way, Watford WD25 7NL
- Fernville Surgery - Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead HP2 5BL (weekend appointments available)
- Kings Langley Surgery - The Nap, Kings Langley WD4 8ET
- Rothschild House Surgery - Chapel Street, Tring HP23 6PU (weekend appointments available)
What to expect at your appointment
At your appointment you will be seen by a specialist doctor. They will examine you and determine the most appropriate course of care or treatment, which they will discuss with you.
HealthHarmonie will send your GP their findings and their recommended care or treatment.
If you have symptoms that could indicate cancer, you will be contacted to refer you to a hospital appointment within two weeks. Please make it your priority to attend this appointment.
If you would like an update in relation to your appointment status or if you would like to book an appointment or you can contact HealthHarmonie in the following ways:
By phone on 01923 594 669 (select option 1 followed by option 3). Phone lines are open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Thursday and from 8am to 5pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Lines are closed on a Sunday.
By email to email@example.com
Use the links below to access a patient information leaflet that explains more about the service and an information sheet that answers patients' frequently asked questions about the community dermatology service provided by HealthHarmonie.