Walk-in urgent care services
Your best route into urgent care is always to go to NHS111 online or call 111 to find out where you can get the quickest, most appropriate help and advice for your needs. The NHS111 service may also be able to book you into an urgent care appointment - reducing your waiting time.
Urgent care services at Hemel Hempstead Hospital and St Albans City Hospital will treat:
- Sprains, strains and broken bones (including sudden back or neck pain, muscle and joint injuries)
- Cuts, wounds, bites and stings (including where these have become infected)
- Minor burns and scalds
- Minor head and eye injuries
- Objects stuck in ears and noses
Where is my nearest walk in urgent care service?
The following urgent care centres are in west Hertfordshire:
Hemel Hempstead Hospital Urgent Treatment Centre
Address: Hillfield Road, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 4AD
Telephone: 01442 213141
Open 8am to 10pm every day
- GP-led service that also treats minor illnesses such as ear, nose and throat problems; chest infections; flu-like symptoms; and skin complaints (eg. rashes, minor allergic reactions)
- Diagnostics and investigations including: x-rays, ultrasound, electrocardiograph, blood glucose monitoring, urine and pregnancy testing, urine monitoring and on-site tests for conditions such as sepsis and thrombosis
- Bookable appointments when referred through NHS111
St Albans City Hospital Minor Injuries Unit (Temporarily closed)
Address: Waverley Road, St Albans, Herts AL3 5PN
Telephone: 01727 866 122
Open 9am to 8pm every day*
* Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic this Minor Injuries Unit is temporarily closed. Patients should go to NHS 111 online or call 111 to receive advice or be directed to the most appropriate local service.
- X-rays 9am – 7.30pm, Monday to Friday
- Can treat children aged 2 years and over.
- This is a nurse-led service.